This recipe for Festive pavlova with spiced clementines was very kindly donated by the lovely Lisa, who also helped set up my website, a very talented lady in many ways! It is a great Christmas recipe as you can make the meringue and spiced clementines ahead of time and just whip the cream before you serve. Lisa adapted it from this recipe.
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Spiced Clementines
- 6 clementines
- 100ml white wine
- 50-100ml Gullane Glögg (depending on how spiced you like it!)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For in between
300ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celsius (fan oven)
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then add the sugar slowly, continuing to whisk until all the sugar has been added and the meringue mixture is glossy.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract, cornflour and vinegar
- Spread the meringue into a circle on the baking parchment
- Put into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 130 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and then turn the oven off and allow the meringue to cool in the oven.
- While the meringue is cooking, segment the clementines by slicing off the top and bottom of clementine and then carve off the skin and pith. Use the knife to cut out segments and place them in a bowl.
- Add the wine, sugar and Gullane Glögg to a small saucepan with a couple of pieces of the clementine peel and simmer for 5-10 minutes until it has become a syrup. Pour the syrup over the clementines and then leave to cool.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the cream and then spread over the meringue. Strain the clementines, reserving the syrup and then place them on top of the cream. Drizzle over some extra syrup to serve.