This recipe for Gullane Glögg Chocolate Orange Loaf cake has been developed by the wonderful Susanne Gilmour of Frangipane , who has been working away very busily with some Gullane Glögg and has created not one, not two but four(!) amazing cake recipes using Gullane Glögg, they are all absolutely delicious!
For the cake
- 200g softened butter plus extra for greasing
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Gullane Glögg
- 4 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ a Terry’s Chocolate Orange, chopped-up
For the icing:
- 150g butter
- 275g cocoa powder
- 2½ tablespoons Gullane Glögg
- For decoration:
- ½ a Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- Grated zest of an orange or orange sprinkles
You will need a 2lb loaf tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 180º/Fan 160º/Gas 4 and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the Gullane Glögg and eggs and mix until it is smooth.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder until fully combined.
- Carefully fold in the chopped-up Terry’s Chocolate Orange.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for about an hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes then take out of the tin and cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, mix together the butter, icing sugar until they start to combine and then add the Gullane Glogg and mix until smooth.
- Slice your cool chocolate loaf through the middle and spread half of the icing over. Pipe or spread the rest of the icing on to the top of the cake, decorate with the Chocolate Orange slices and finely grated zest of an orange or orange sprinkles.